Yeager Airport (IATA: CRW, ICAO: KCRW, FAA LID: CRW) is a public airport three miles (6 km) east of downtown Charleston, in Kanawha County, West Virginia, United States. It is owned by the Central West Virginia Regional Airport Authority. The airport is co-located with West Virginia Air National Guard Base (Charleston), home to nine C-130 Hercules aircraft of the West Virginia Air National Guard’s 130th Airlift Wing (130 AW), an Air Mobility Command (AMC)-gained unit of the West Virginia Air National Guard.
YEAGER AIRPORT HISTORY
During World War II Charleston’s airport, Wertz Field, closed when the airport’s approaches were blocked by the federal government building a synthetic rubber plant next to the airport. There were already plans to build a new Charleston airport.
The city started construction in 1944; the airport opened in 1947 as Kanawha Airport. A terminal building was built in 1950, designed by Tucker & Silling. The airport received its current name in 1985, honoring then-Brigadier General Chuck Yeager, a native of nearby Lincoln County who piloted the world’s first supersonic flight in the Bell X-1. In 1986, the terminal facilities were completely renovated. Concourse C, which was designed by L. Robert Kimball and Associates and cost $2.8 million, was completed in 2001, some three months ahead of schedule.
YEAGER AIRPORT LOCATION
Yeager Airport (IATA: CRW, ICAO: KCRW, FAA LID: CRW) is a public airport three miles (6 km) east of downtown Charleston, in Kanawha County, West Virginia, United States.
YEAGER AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 981 ft.
Runway length available: 05/23 6302×150 ft. :: 15/33 4751×150 ft.