Waco Regional Airport is a public airport located five miles (8 km) northwest of the central business district of Waco, a city in McLennan County, Texas, United States. It is owned by the City of Waco.
The airport is a 20-25 minute drive by street to Downtown Waco and the Baylor University Campus.
WACO REGIONAL AIRPORT HISTORY
The airport was built by the United States Army Air Force as a pilot training airfield, and was activated on 2 July 1942. It was initially named China Springs Army Air Field and was also known as Waco Army Air Field No. 2 before being renamed Blackland Army Airfield after the local black soil.
It was first a glider training school and in October 1942 Blackland was assigned to the AAF Gulf Coast Training Center, with the Army Air Force Pilot School (Advanced Twin-Engine) activated (phase 3 pilot training). The school’s mission was to train cadets to fly transports and bombers. Pilot wings were awarded upon graduation and were sent on to group combat training by First, Second, Third or Fourth Air Force. Graduates were usually graded as Flight Officers (Warrant Officers); cadets who graduated at the top of their class were graded as Second Lieutenants.
WACO REGIONAL AIRPORT LOCATION
WACO REGIONAL AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 516 ft.
Runway length available: 01/19 6596×150 ft. :: 14/32 5896×150 ft.