Tyler Pounds Regional Airport is a city owned, public use airport located three nautical miles (6 km) west of the central business district of Tyler, a city in Smith County, Texas, United States.
It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a primary commercial service airport. As per Federal Aviation Administration records, the airport had 76,168 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 73,841 enplanements in 2009, and 74,357 in 2010.
The airport currently has three paved runways. In recent years, the airport has been expanding in order to meet goals outlined within “The Tyler Master Plan.” On August 17, 2002, the airport opened a new terminal building, which doubled the available space.
Tyler Pounds Regional is a large center for General Aviation. The airport has three public parking lots for General Aviation arrivals.
The 2013 Federal sequester will result in the closure of the airport’s control tower and will require pilots to rely on air traffic controllers from other area airports.
TYLER POUNDS REGIONAL AIRPORT HISTORY
The airport was opened in November 1937 as Tyler Municipal Airport. During World War II the airfield was used by the United States Army Air Forces as a training base and renamed Pounds Field. At the end of the war the airfield was returned over to the local government for civil use and it was given its current name Tyler Pounds Regional Airport.
The Historic Aviation Memorial Museum (HAMM), a large aviation museum at the airport rented and moved into the old terminal building that has been closed since 2002.
TYLER POUNDS REGIONAL AIRPORT LOCATION
TYLER POUNDS REGIONAL AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 544 ft.
Runway length available: 04/22 7200×150 ft. :: 13/31 5200×150 ft. :: 17/35 4850×150 ft.