Richmond International Airport is a joint civil-military public airport, in Sandston, Virginia, an unincorporated community (within Henrico County).
Richmond International Airport is the busiest airport in central Virginia. The airport is about 7 miles (11 km) southeast of downtown Richmond, the capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HISTORY
The airport was dedicated as Richard Evelyn Byrd Flying Field in 1927 in honor of aviator Richard E. Byrd, brother of then Gov. Harry F. Byrd. Charles Lindbergh attended the dedication ceremony. Although the facility was in Henrico County, Richmond Mayor John Fulmer Bright was instrumental in the creation of Byrd Field, which was initially owned by the City of Richmond.
The current president and CEO of the airport is Jon Mathiasen. It is owned and operated by the Capital Region Airport Commission, a Commonwealth-created governmental agency overseen by representatives of Chesterfield Hanover, and Henrico counties, and the City of Richmond.
A terminal building designed by Marcellus Wright and Son was completed in 1950. It was expanded from 1968 to 1970, which included the current passenger concourses.
RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT LOCATION
RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT FACTS