Reno–Tahoe International Airport is a civil-military airport three miles (6 km) southeast of downtown Reno, in Washoe County, Nevada.
It is the second busiest commercial airport in Nevada after McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas.
The Nevada Air National Guard has the 152nd Airlift Wing southwest of the airport’s main terminal.
Reno–Tahoe International was the hub of Reno Air, a now-defunct medium sized airline that had MD-80 and MD-90s to many cities until it was bought by American Airlines and later disposed of in 2001. Reno Air’s first flight was on July 1, 1992 and its last flight was August 30, 1999.
The passenger terminal is named after the late US Senator Howard Cannon. The main lobby of the terminal contains an exhibit featuring the bust of Nevada State Senator (and Nevada State Senate Minority Leader) William J. “Bill” Raggio. Raggio is described in the exhibit as being “The Father of the Airport Authority.”
RENO TAHOE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HISTORY
The airport was built in 1929 by Boeing Transport Inc. and named Hubbard Field after Boeing Air Transport VP and air transport pioneer Eddie Hubbard. It was acquired by United Airlines in 1936 and purchased by the City of Reno in 1953. The August 1953 OAG shows 15 scheduled departures each weekday; ten years later there were 28. Jets (United 727s) arrived in 1964, but the airport didn’t rate a nonstop to Los Angeles until 1969; a nonstop to Chicago began in 1970.
RENO TAHOE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT LOCATION
RENO TAHOE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 4,415 ft.
Runway length available: 07/25 6102×150 ft. :: 16R/34L 11002×150 ft. ::
16L/34R 9000×150 ft.