Phoenix–Mesa Gateway Airport (IATA: AZA, ICAO: KIWA, FAA LID: IWA), formerly Williams Gateway Airport (1994–2008) and Williams Air Force Base (1941–1993), is a commercial airport located in the southeastern area of the city of Mesa, Arizona, and 20 miles (32 km) southeast of Phoenix, in Maricopa County, Arizona, United States. The airport is owned and operated by the Phoenix–Mesa Gateway Airport Authority. It serves as a focus city for Allegiant Air. The airport authority is governed by a six member board, composed of the mayors and tribal governor of the town of Gilbert, city of Mesa, town of Queen Creek, Gila River Indian Community, city of Phoenix, and the city of Apache Junction.
PHOENIX-MESA-GATEWAY AIRPORT HISTORY
Phoenix–Mesa Gateway Airport was built in 1941 and inaugurated in 1942 by the United States military as Williams Air Base. It served as a flight training field during World War II for military pilots. Military forces established a pilot school there, and many war airplanes that are now considered to be classics were seen there on a daily basis.
In 1948, Williams became the first jet training base, and in 1966 it was the first site of the Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) program.
The 1991 Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission recommended closing the base as its operating costs were too costly for the United States government; the base continued operating until 1993.
PHOENIX-MESA-GATEWAY AIRPORT LOCATION
PHOENIX-MESA-GATEWAY AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 1382 ft.
Runway length available: 12C/30C 10201×150 ft. :: 12R/30L 10401×150 ft. :: 12L/30R 9301×150 ft.