Lambert–St. Louis International Airport is an international airport serving Greater St. Louis. It is about 10 miles (16 km) northwest of downtown St. Louis in unincorporated St. Louis County between Berkeley and Bridgeton. It is the largest and busiest airport in the state with 255 daily departures to about 90 domestic and international locations. In 2011, nearly 13 million passengers traveled through the airport. The airport serves as a focus city for Southwest Airlines and was a former hub for Trans World Airlines and former focus-city for American Airlines and AmericanConnection.
LAMBERT ST LOUIS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HISTORY
The airport grew from a balloon launching base, Kinloch Field, part of the 1890s Kinloch Park suburban development. The Wright brothers and their Exhibition Team visited the field while touring with their aircraft. During a visit to St. Louis, Theodore Roosevelt flew with pilot Arch Hoxsey on October 11, 1910, becoming the first U.S. president to fly. Later, Kinloch hosted the first experimental parachute jump.
In June 1920, the Aero Club of St. Louis leased 170 acres of cornfield, the defunct Kinloch Racing Track and the Kinloch Airfield in October 1923, during The International Air Races. The field was officially dedicated as Lambert–St. Louis Flying Field in honor of Albert Bond Lambert, an Olympic silver medalist golfer in the 1904 Summer Games, president of Lambert Pharmaceutical Corporation (which made Listerine), and the first person to receive a pilot’s license in St. Louis. In February 1925, “Major” (his ‘rank’ was given by the Aero Club and not the military) Lambert bought the field and added hangars and a passenger terminal.
LAMBERT ST LOUIS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT LOCATION
LAMBERT ST LOUIS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 605 ft.
Runway length available: 06/24 7602×150 ft. :: 11/29 9001×150 ft. :: 12R/30L 11019×200 ft. :: 12L/30R 9003×150 ft.