Greater Rochester International Airport is a county-owned public-use airport located three nautical miles (6 km) southwest of the central business district of Rochester, a city in Monroe County, New York, United States. It serves as the major airport of the metro area known as Greater Rochester (composed by the city of Rochester and the counties of Monroe, Ontario, Livingston, Orleans and Wayne). The airport is owned and operated by Monroe County. The largest airline at the airport is Delta Air Lines. The airport is also home to the 642nd Aviation Support Battalion, part of the 42nd Infantry Division (United States).
GREATER ROCHESTER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HISTORY
The first developments of the Greater Rochester International Airport began in 1927, with the construction of Hangar No. 1 on a patch of land south of Rochester on Scottsville Road. At the time the airport was named Britton Field. This same year, the first scheduled passenger flights between New York City and Rochester were made. In 1928, the name of the field was changed to Rochester Municipal Airport and additional construction was completed, including improvements to the runways and drainage system, and the building of Hangar No. 2. As a result of the First and Second World Wars the airport saw a period of great expansion as passenger volume, frequency of scheduled flights, and civilian pilot training greatly increased. Also, a cadet flight training school, with nearly 1,000 students, was created.
On January 1, 1948 Monroe County took possession and control of the airport. The county made numerous improvements to the facility, including the construction of an instrumental runway measuring 5000 feet, an extension of the north-south runway from 2,670 ft to 5000 ft, and the building of administration facilities on Brooks Avenue.
GREATER ROCHESTER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT LOCATION
GREATER ROCHESTER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 559 ft.
Runway length available: 04/22 8001×150 ft. :: 07/25 4400×140 ft. :: 10/28 5500×150 ft.