Dortmund Airport (IATA: DTM, ICAO: EDLW), is the international airport located 10 km (6.2 mi) east of Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Its slogan is Näher als man denkt (Closer than you think). Since 2006 it has been carrying the name “Dortmund Airport 21″, in reference to the fact that Dortmund’s utility company, DSW21, is its major shareholder. The airport has a maximum capacity of around 2.5 million passengers and served approximately 2.3 million passengers in 2008.
DORTMUND AIRPORT HISTORY
The airport, originally located in the suburb of Brackel, was first served by commercial flights in 1925 by Aero Lloyd, which operated flights to Paris. By the business year 1927/1928, service had expanded to 2,589 commercial flights annually. During World War II the airport was used as a German air base, and was subsequently used by the British Royal Air Force. Service to Dortmund was not recommenced when German commercial air service was restarted in 1955. In 1960, the civil airfield was relocated to Dortmund-Wickede. The old airport was abandoned and occupied by British forces until the 1990s. Since 2006, part of the original airport area has been used as training grounds by the football club Borussia Dortmund.
DORTMUND AIRPORT LOCATION
Dortmund Airport (IATA: DTM, ICAO: EDLW), is the international airport located 10 km (6.2 mi) east of Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
DORTMUND AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 425 ft.
Runway length available: 06/24 6562×148 ft.