Ciampino–G. B. Pastine International Airport (Italian: Ciampino–Aeroporto Internazionale G. B. Pastine) or simply Rome Ciampino Airport, is a joint civilian, commercial and military airport near Rome in Italy. The airport is situated 6.5 NM (12.0 km; 7.5 mi) south southeast of central Rome, just outside the Greater Ring Road (Italian: Grande Raccordo Anulare or GRA) the circular motorway around the city.
Ciampino Airport was opened in 1916 and is one of the oldest airports still in operation. It was Rome’s main airport until 1960, with traffic amounting to over 2 million passengers per year. After the opening of Leonardo da Vinci–Fiumicino Airport, Ciampino handled almost exclusively charter and executive flights.
CIAMPINO AIRPORT HISTORY
During World War II, the airport was captured by Allied forces in June 1944, and afterward became a United States Army Air Forces military airfield. Although primarily used as a transport base by C-47 Skytrain aircraft of the 64th Troop Carrier Group, the Twelfth Air Force 86th Bombardment Group flew A-36 Apache combat aircraft from the airport during the immediate period after its capture from German forces.
When the combat units moved out, Air Transport Command used the airport as a major transshipment hub for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel for the remainder of the war.
The terminals were extended at the beginning of 2007.
CIAMPINO AIRPORT LOCATION
CIAMPINO AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 427 ft.
Runway length available: 15/33 7242×154 ft.