Catania–Fontanarossa Airport (Italian: Aeroporto di Catania-Fontanarossa Vincenzo Bellini) also named as Vincenzo Bellini Airport, is an airport located 2.3 NM (4.3 km; 2.6 mi) southwest of Catania, the second largest city on the Italian island of Sicily. The airport is named after the great opera composer Vincenzo Bellini who was born in Catania.
It is the busiest airport in Sicily and the 6th busiest in Italy with 6,246,888 passengers in 2012.
In order to cope with the increasing passengers figures, a new terminal, equipped with 22 gates and 6 loading bridges, opened on May 8, 2007 replacing the old facilities, but a further enlargement of the terminal area seems already necessary.
CATANIA / FONTANAROSSA AIRPORT HISTORY
Catania Airport’s history dates back to 1924, when it was the region’s very first airport. During World War II it was seized by the Allies during the Sicilian Campaign and used by the United States Army Air Forces as a military airfield. Twelfth Air Force used the airport as a combat airfield, stationing the 340th Bombardment Group, which flew B-25 Mitchells from 27 Aug to 19 Nov 1943. In addition, the HQ, 51st Troop Carrier Wing used the airport from 29 Sep 1943 to 29 Jun 1944. Various transport units used the airport for the rest of the war, afterward it was turned back over to civil authorities.
By the late 1940s, it was clear that the airport was fast running out of space and it was deemed necessary to relocate and in 1950, the new bigger and improved Catania Airport opened for business.
After 20 years of unexpected growth and high passengers levels, in 1981 it was once again necessary to restructure the airport to cope with demand. More recently in 2007, a state of the art new terminal building was inaugurated.
CATANIA / FONTANAROSSA AIRPORT LOCATION
CATANIA / FONTANAROSSA AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 39 ft.
Runway length available: 08/26 7989×148 ft.