Capital Region International Airport (IATA: LAN, ICAO: KLAN, FAA LID: LAN), formerly Lansing Capital City Airport, is a public, Class C airport located 3 miles (5 km) northwest of downtown Lansing in DeWitt Township, Michigan. Small areas of the airport are located in Watertown Township, Delta Township, and the city of Lansing.
The airport is owned and operated by the Capital Region Airport Authority, an eight-member governing board. Three members represent Ingham County and three members represent the City of Lansing. Two ex officio members represent Eaton County and Clinton County. The Airport Authority also oversees nearby Jewett Field (TEW) in Mason, Michigan.
The Airport Authority says 389,600 people flew to or from the airport in 2012, nine percent fewer than 2008 and a 41 percent decrease since 2000. Capital Region International Airport is a focus city for Sun Country Airlines.
CAPITAL CITY AIRPORT HISTORY
The first recorded flight in Lansing took place on October 15, 1911, at an old racecourse (now the Red Cedar Golf Course). More than 20,000 spectators watched pilot Jimmy Ward perform stunts in the Shooting Star, his Curtiss biplane. In 1919 the first airfield in Lansing opened approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) west of downtown. The second airfield opened the following year 2.5 miles (4.0 km) south of downtown. From 1922 to 1926 Lansing’s airport was Creyts Field, located 1 mile (1.6 km) west of the current airport. The 80 acres (32 ha) field was operated by Chamber of Commerce Secretary Charley Davis. In 1925 Lt Harry Warner arrived in Lansing to help Davis and others select the current site for Capital City Airport. The selected site was a 300 acres (121 ha) state-owned hayfield and marsh (known as Chandler’s Marsh), originally planned to be a boys’ vocational school.
CAPITAL CITY AIRPORT LOCATION
CAPITAL CITY AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 861 ft.
Runway length available: 06/24 5001×120 ft. :: 10R/28L 7251×150 ft. :: 10L/28R 3601×75 ft.