Bristol Airport (IATA: BRS, ICAO: EGGD), located at Lulsgate Bottom in North Somerset, is the commercial airport serving the city of Bristol, England, and the surrounding area. Originally named Bristol (Lulsgate) Airport in 1955, from March 1997 to March 2010 it became known as Bristol International Airport. In 2003, the airport drew 45% of its passengers from the former county of Avon area, 13% from Devon, 10% from Somerset. In 2012, it was the ninth busiest airport in the United Kingdom, handling over 5.9 million passengers, a 2.3% increase compared with 2011.
The airport has a CAA Public Use Aerodrome Licence (number P432) that allows flights for the public transport of passengers and for flying instruction.
BRISTOL INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HISTORY
In 1927 a group of local businessmen raised £6,000 through public subscription to start a flying club at Filton Aerodrome. By 1929 the club had become a success and it was decided that a farm located in Whitchurch near Bristol would be developed into an airport. In 1930, Prince George, son of King George V opened Bristol (Whitchurch) Airport — becoming the third such airport in the United Kingdom. Passenger numbers grew from 935 in 1930 to over 4,000 in 1939.
During World War II, Bristol’s Whitchurch Airport was the only civil airport still in operation in the UK, meaning all flights usually bound for London were terminated in Bristol. The newly formed British Overseas Airways Corporation was transferred to Whitchurch from Croydon and Gatwick Airports. They operated on routes to Lisbon, Portugal and to some other neutral nations.
BRISTOL INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT LOCATION
Bristol Airport (IATA: BRS, ICAO: EGGD), located at Lulsgate Bottom in North Somerset, is the commercial airport serving the city of Bristol, England, and the surrounding area.
BRISTOL INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 622 ft.
Runway length available: 09/27 6598×151 ft.