Long Island MacArthur Airport (formerly Islip Airport) (IATA: ISP, ICAO: KISP, FAA LID: ISP) is a public airport on Long Island, in Ronkonkoma, Town of Islip, Suffolk County, New York. It is about two miles (3 km) south of Ronkonkoma Lake and shuttles connect the airport to the Ronkonkoma railroad station. Long Island MacArthur Airport (LIMA) covers 1,311 acres (531 ha) and has four runways and two helipads. The Town owns and operates the airport, which serves about two million commercial passengers a year, as well as general aviation.
LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR AIRPORT HISTORY
In April 1942, four months after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the Town of Islip entered into contract with the federal government to build an airfield on Town-owned land for military use during the war. Within months the Civil Aeronautics Administration – predecessor to today’s Federal Aviation Administration – funded construction of three paved runways. Originally named Islip Airport, at the suggestion of Charles H. Duryea, a local elected official, the airport was renamed MacArthur Airport, after General Douglas MacArthur, General of the Army.
LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR AIRPORT LOCATION
LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR AIRPORT FACTS
Elevation: 99 ft.
Runway length available: 06/24 7006×150 ft. :: 10/28 5034×150 ft. :: 15R/33L 5186×150 ft. :: 15L/33R 3175×75 ft.